Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

Catching Up

It's been about a month since my last post so this is going to be a long one. Let's break this down.

1. I GRADUATED FROM SCAD!

It feels pretty good to be finished with school. It didn't really feel like four years went by at all. Now I'm looking for a job in the game industry and it's exciting and terrifying. After a couple of days after the last school quarter I started freaking out about a job. But I realized I need to just calm down, I basically have a head start on everyone else whose graduating in June. I'm going to take this time to continue working on Disorder and I'm going to start learning Unity. Next point.


2. GDC THIS YEAR WAS AWESOME


I attended GDC again this year. This time only for about 4 days and not the whole week. I met some amazing people and saw some amazing games. I met people from Capy Bara Games, Crystal Dynamics, DrinkBox Studios, and Jim Guthrie! I also attended the IGF / GDC Awards and it was incredible. I will win an IGF award one day. GDC just reminded me of how badly I want to be part of the game dev community. I hope to inspire other game devs with my games some day. I also met up with some SCAD buddies since I wouldn't be seeing them again till June for commencement. It was great to see everyone again and I think next year I'll have a different game plan when it comes to meeting people. Next.

3. I WENT TO AUSTIN FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS


I attended Juegos Rancheros last week and showed off our game Disorder. Overall there was a great response and the Austin game dev community has really grown over the past year. I'm fortunate to know people like Brandon Boyer and Wiley Wiggins who run Juegos. It really made me want to stay in Austin so I could be a part of the Austin Indie Community, so we'll see where I go next. I also found out that there are some game devs here in Houston and that they meet up every now and then so I'm excited for that. I also met Pendleton Ward THE CREATOR OF ADVENTURE TIME at Juegos Rancheros and he was super nice / jolly.

4. NOW

Job hunting can be really daunting and sad, but I've realized that I'm going to make games no matter what. Even if I have to get a job in retail or something not related to game development, NOTHING IS GOING TO MAKE ME STOP MAKING GAMES! You're going to see more of Disorder and you're going to see more games from me. So wherever I end up whether it's Austin, California, Canada, Antarctica I'm still going to come up with ideas for games and create them. Tomorrow I start working on Disorder again and learning Unity...because I'm a game designer and making games is what I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment