Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

My Top 5 Games of 2012

I just thought I'd share what my top 5 games of 2012.



Journey - (PSN)
I'd been waiting for Journey for awhile after playing thatgamecompany's flower. I've gotta say it's a unique experience. The multiplayer experience is unlike anything you've ever played. Journey is really a master piece of game design, art, and music. There's really something magical about this game...


The Walking Dead - (PC, iOS, PS3, 360)
If you're apprehensive about picking this up because you don't enjoy the TV show then slap yourself and buy this game! It's an adventure game unlike any other one I've played. You'll have to make some really hard decisions and endure some pretty tragic events. The game has 5 episodes and each one tops the next.


Alan Wake - (PC, 360)
Ok, so this one came out in 2010, but the PC version came out this year. I've been a big fan of Remedy Entertainment since Max Payne. Alan Wake can be described as if Stephen King made a video game, but also put himself in it. It's a different take on survival horror / third person shooter. After playing Silent Hill 2 and a little bit of 3 I was bored with the structure of those games. Alan Wake gives you a pretty linear game, but it means that you're getting all the meaty parts. Also the lighting in this game is incredible.


FarCry 3 - (PC,360,PS3)
I really enjoyed the original FarCry when it came out for it's great setting and open gameplay. FarCry 3 gives you a playground filled with animals and treacherous pirates. Also the story isn't bad. There's an interesting cast of characters and some great acting. I'm sure I'll sink at least 100 to 200 hours into this one. No offense to Dishonored, but FarCry 3 delivered on all the things I think Dishonored missed out on.

Spelunky - XBLA
This game will destroy you....but in a good way. Spelunky is a game that takes patience and true skill to beat. I can't remember how many times I've died in this game, but what made me want to keep playing it its rogue-like formula. You rarely feel like oh I've been here before...in each level. There's a small glimer of hope that maybe this time the random dungeon will build to your will. I've only beaten Spelunky once, but I've gotta tell you that my hands were still shaking after the final boss. I don't think a video game has done that to me since I was 12.

Other Random Awards:


Hotline Miami - PC - Weirdest/Craziest Game
Hotline Miami is sort of like taking a bit of the 80's, the move Drive, and a funky soundtrack and putting it into a blender while trying to eat that with the blender is still on....enjoy


The Binding of Isaac - PC - Game I Should've played a year ago
Rogue-like Zelda dungeons where you fight deformed beasts with your tears...need I say more. I think I didn't pick this up when it came about because of the difficulty, but it has a similar rewarding feeling like Spelunky. Also after the first time you beat it there's more content and it's not recycled garbage content.


Torchlight II - PC - Game I liked way more than Diablo 3
I really couldn't get into Diablo 3. There wasn't enough character customization / choices being made when you level up. Torchlight II delivers with stat distribution and a ton of abilities like turning into a giant purple wolf that makes everything bleed. Oh and there are pets....yes..it's awesome.


FEZ - 360 - Purdiest Game
This game is freaking beautiful. Not just visually, but the game really sets a beautiful mood. Green grass, blue skies, and fresh air.


Monaco - PC,PS3,360 - Most Anticipated Indie Game of 2013
I've had my eye on Monaco ever since it won the Grand Prize in the IGF back in 2010. I've had a chance to play a little bit of the beta and I can't wait to go on some heists with my buddies online and locally.


Super Hexagon - iOS, PC - Best Mobile Game
Another super hard game. It's pretty crazy how your brain starts to recognize the patterns that the game throws out at you. It's like you gain some other super power that lets you focus on rotating shapes.


The Last of Us - Most Anticipated AAA Game of 2013
I'm not sure what Naughty Dog has up their sleeves with this one, but I'm eager to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment